Emanuel Synagogue

  Synagogue Tour
 
photo of front entrance of synagogue   Welcome to Emanuel Synagogue, one of the oldest Jewish congregations in Oklahoma (see our History for more). Our synagogue property is at 900 NW 47th Street in Oklahoma City; see Location for directions and a map. This page will tell you about our main building. There is also a small mikvah building on our property; see the Mikvah page for details about that.


Layout. Our main synagogue building dates to 1949. Initially a simple one-storey structure, it was expanded in 1962 with a two-storey addition containing a new sanctuary above and a chapel, lounge, library, and offices below. The kitchen, social hall, gift shop, and classrooms remain in the original one-storey section. photo: south doors of synagogueA main foyer connects the old and new sections of the building, and runs from the formal north entrance on NW 47th Street to the informal "back" entrance facing the south parking lot on NW 46th Street. The north entrance is handicapped-accessible, but for security reasons its doors are opened only by request; our synagogue members generally use the south entrance (shown at right).


Inside the Building. Here are photos of some of the things you might see at Emanuel Synagogue (click on any photo to see a larger version).

photo of endowment fund memorial inside north entry
  Just inside the main north door is a beautiful memorial recognizing the generous patrons and sponsors who have contributed to the Emanuel Synagogue Endowment Fund. The inscription reads: "The merit of those who endow the congregation helps those who come after them to serve."

Also in the main foyer are two mementos of our congregation's first synagogue built in 1917: the original Ark and the central stained-glass window from that building. Both have been lovingly restored and preserved thanks to generous donations from many members, named on the nearby plaques.
photo of original ark preserved from 1917 synagogue photo of original stained-glass window from 1917 synagogue

The foyer opens to our beautiful sanctuary, built in the shape of Noah's Ark.
photo of stained glass window on side of sanctuary photo of sanctuary, looking toward ark photo of bimah with ark behind and light above


In the center of the original part of the building is Hart Auditorium, the synagogue's social hall, where most of our public and private social events take place. In this photo it's being used for a Bat Mitzvah celebration.
  photo of hall with people at a buffet line


photo of smiling man preparing food at kitchen counter   And of course the kitchen is nearby. Our large, well-equipped kosher kitchen is such an important part of the synagogue that it has its own web page. Note that we are a totally egalitarian congregation. We allow men in the kitchen!


Opening into the main foyer is another important feature of the synagogue, the Sisterhood's Judaica Gift Shop. This is another of our enterpirses with its own web page.
  photo of 3 smiling women in front of gift shop display


Surrounding the social hall are the synagogue's classrooms. This educational area of the building has its own separate, handicapped-accessible outside entrance (unlocked on request). Here there is also a youth lounge opening to the patio, where outdoor events are held and the annual sukkah is built.
photo of empty classroom for small children photo of youth lounge with patio beyond


Going downstairs in the new wing leads you to other important parts of the building. Here is the small, friendly Lieberman Chapel, where we hold our congregation's daily minyan, the Junior Congregation services conducted by our Hebrew School participants, and a variety of other services that aren't quite right for the formal main sanctuary.
photo of chapel entrance photo of inside of chapel


Nearby is the Karchmer Downstairs Lounge, widely used for a variety of synagogue events. Here is where a light breakfast is served each day after morning minyan, and informal meetings of the Sisterhood, monthly synagogue board meetings, committee meetings, and small classes are held.
  photo of lounge


photo of girl reading in library   Also downstairs, next to the chapel, is the William Davis Memorial Library. Supported by donations to the synagogue's Library Fund, it contains a wide selection of periodicals and books on Judaic subjects and houses the Cantor Michael Samuel Solloway Collection of sacred music. The library is open during office and school hours. Synagogue members may borrow books, and the wider community is welcome to consult our reference collection.


And finally, the lower level is home to the Rabbi's office and the all-important synagogue office, the nerve center of synagogue activities. This is where our members come for help and information. If you're a visitor (and visitors are always welcome), this is where you should come, too.
  photo of main office



 

  Website design by AH Technical Services
Web hosting provided by the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism
Search function provided by Digital Point Solutions
Copyright © 2005 Emanuel Synagogue, Oklahoma City. All rights reserved.
Suggestions or questions about this website? Contact .